Finally the summer season is over and there is only one word that can summarize it: disappointment. This was one of the most underwhelming season so far, there were a lot of anime with potential that failed to deliver and some of them started well but dropped in quality. In this season I added two anime to the summary: Kekkai Sensen, the last episode finally aired so it is in the completed list; Lupin III (2015) (aka Lupin III: L’avventura italiana) that aired as a preview here in Italy and it will not be in the Fall post.
As always I have to say that I watch the first episode of almost every anime in the season, but from this general rule I exclude anime series of which I have never seen the prequel or series like Dragon Ball Chou, so if you don’t find an anime in this post I probably ignored it.
This time no pages the posts aren’t too long.
FIRST EPISODE ONLY
In this category there are all the anime series of the season of which I have only seen the first episode due to various reasons that I will try to explain. What I will write here is only a personal opinion I really hate judging an anime by its first episode.
- Aoharu x Kikanjuu: Another anime that cover survival games (airsoft), this time the character are males and a woman that gets mistaken for a man… I didn’t like the plot so I decided to not watch it
- Gakkou Gurashi!: I didn’t really like the manga so I decided to skip the anime even if the art and animation was good and I was interested.
- Gatchaman Crowds insight: Didn’t like the first season and I wasn’t excited for the second.
- Kangoku Gakuen Prison School: I like the manga and I will keep on reading it, but the anime is another thing. I don’t like the art style used in the anime, due to the nature of the anime there is too much censorship but the story follows the manga pretty well.
- Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan: This is just bad, everything that I could see in the first episode is bad.
- Venus Project Climax: Another idol anime this time is a below average one so I didn’t bother watching it.
These are anime series that I watched for some episode and then abandoned.
- Jitsu wa Watashi wa: I thought that since the main character can’t lie with a straight face, the anime would focus more on challenges to overcome to maintain the secret, instead its focus is on romance.
- Joukamachi no Dandelion: Nice idea for a cute anime but it simply isn’t interesting enough, the characters are walking stereotypes with a special ability, at least the story itself is something relatively new.
- Sore ga Seiyuu!: The struggle in the life of a voice actress. I like this kind of behind the scene anime, but this time art and animation (with the addition of dull characters) put me off, so I had to drop it.
- Lupin III (2015): Since I’m Italian I had access to “Lupin III: l’avventura italiana” before its official air date in Japan. Lupin is one of my childhood anime and I loved the green jacket episodes. This time (blue jacket) Lupin isn’t the same it feels weak, Fujiko is almost a background character and Zenigata is disappointing. I have to praise the research work for the San Marino’s episodes and the beautiful backgrounds.
Anime that I will complete when I have time, or when the other episodes finally airs.
- God Eater: So UFOTABLE did it again, I guess that the anime suffers from lack of resources, they had deadlines to meet and couldn’t finish to make it in fact there were multiple delays and now the last 4 episodes are going to be aired in the winter season. The art and animations style was probably part of the problem, heavy cell-shaded style of coloring and the use of 3d graphics for almost everything, so far this is the best 3d art in a full length anime that I ever seen. Unfortunately the story isn’t the best but I like how they have narrated it.
Summer anime series that I completed.
- Akagami no Shirayuki-hime: You can say that “Snow White with the Red Hair” is the standard shoujo anime of the season, but there are a few things that stand out: the first episode was really funny to watch with the references to “Snow White” and the main character, Shirayuki, is a strong female character (similar to “Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii”). The story unfortunately is the weak point of the anime (like many other shoujo) but even if the art wasn’t outstanding the colors were vibrant and beautiful to see.
- Chaos Dragon Sekiryuu Sen’eki: I will start by saying that the use of 3d graphic in this anime was awful, that said I didn’t really like this anime. Even if this is an average anime I feel like it has too much wasted potential, the story is pretty straight forward but the secondary characters could have had a bigger impact on the plot.
- Charlotte: The creator of “Angel Beats!” and “Clannad”, Jun Maeda, is back with an original story. The first half of the anime present itself as a comedy focused anime but everybody knows the author and, as expected, the second half is full of drama. The switch from comedy to drama is too fast and out of place, it seems like the first half and the second half are two totally different anime. Art and animations are good but nothing spectacular. I guess that if you liked “Clannad” you can enjoy “Charlotte” even if the emotional impact is not the same.
- Classroom Crisis: I was expecting a boring anime and I was basically right. I liked the episodes that focused on politics (even if they weren’t good), but I hate how the “big reveal” is completely ignored (I guess it is intended for a second season). The first few episodes were so boring that I almost fell asleep; I really don’t know why I continued to watch it.
- Durarara!!x2 Ten: First of all I love how they use the same ending style in every season. The only thing that I can say is that the art and animation didn’t change and the quality is consistent, the plot isn’t linear and I love it. Celty is still the best character of the anime.
- Gangsta.: The biggest disappointment of the season it started strong with interesting characters, gorgeous art and animation (more on this later), a solid and mature plot. But that was only the start, after that the author introduced too many secondary characters with different stories that he tries to tie with the main settings. By doing so you expand the plot but you sacrifice the sense of completion and you end up confusing the viewer (in a manga can be a good thing but in an anime you need to clean up). The art and animation suffer from the usual Manglobe problem: consistency, overall is beautiful but in a closer inspection you can see some stiff animation and character design inconsistency (In one of the last episode I remember Alex having a really badly drawn foot, that was hilarious). After the ending I still wanted a second season but as many know Manglobe filed for bankruptcy and “Gangsta” itself isn’t selling very well (unfortunately the huge internet fanbase doesn’t count for Japanese sales), so it is the same as “Deadman Wonderland” you will have to read the manga.
- Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri: Decent anime, it didn’t fall in the usual ecchi/fanservice kind of shounen. I really wanted this anime to focus more on the war and diplomatic exchanges, but I think this is enough, I guess I will try to read the light novel if I find it, I hope for a good second season.
- Himouto! Umaru-chan: Hands down the best comedy anime of the season, it’s been a while since I laughed this hard. I loved the characters and I’m sad that it’s over. Since it’s a manga adaptation we will probably see a second season and I can’t wait.
- Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou: I like the manga but the anime is just average nothing more, since the manga is borderline hentai there is no “too much fanservice”. The anime Is well done, the art style is not that different from the manga and the adaptation is good.
- Non Non Biyori Repeat: I’m confused this feels like a remake and not a second season, but who cares this anime is calming, nothing more than a slice of life with cute characters. I’m really disappointed by the lack of “Nyanpasu~ ”.
- Overlord: It’s good but a little disappointing, maybe another few episode would have been useful because too much time was spent on character introduction and not enough on character development.
- Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace: This is the adaptation of the works of Ranpo Edogawa for the 50th anniversary of his death. I can’t say if the anime is a good adaptation but the art style is good and the way they portrait unnecessary characters is kind of new (I think it has been used before). The only flaw in my opinion is the last fight.
- Rokka no Yuusha: This anime had potential and since I thought of it as the usual shounen it didn’t really disappoint. This anime had his good moments and some terrible ones. There will probably be a second season but I don’t really care for it.
- Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai: The manga was good and so was the anime. The story is brilliant and the characters are good, I like the art style of the anime more than the one of the manga and the animation was average. I look forward for a second season.
- Working!!!: Third season and finally some development is the relationships, I’m so happy right now. Also we finally saw the mysterious Takanashi’s mother. Everything else is on par with the other seasons.
- Arslan Senki: Beautiful second part of the anime, even if they had the opportunity they never used excessive fanservice. They developed characters and plot really well and the art and animation are good and the quality didn’t drop too much.
- Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu: It was so hard to watch but it ended pretty fast, I love the endless eight references but that’s about it.
- Shokugeki no Souma: They ended in an awkward spot but I guess that the second season is already in production so it doesn’t matter. I like the manga and the anime is definitely good.
- Kekkai Sensen: Finally the last episode aired, it was a 46 minutes one and it wasn’t bad but with no improvement on quality I’m still mad about it. Story wise it doesn’t feel like a good ending after the events of the 11th episode, I think that it had too much comedy in it when it should have been the most serious episode of the series.
Anime that still will continue in the Fall season
- Aquarion Logos: I don’t really know why this is part of the Aquarion brand, the characters were the strong point of every Aquarion series but this time they feels weak and dumb also the art itself isn’t on par with the other series (even if the mecha design is pretty much spot on). Either way episode 12 in particular made me curious so I will try to watch it until the end.
Let’s forget all of the disappointment and actually look at what is good (or at least decent).
I will say that this time choosing the best anime of the season is not that difficult, in fact there weren’t a lot of good series this season. So the best anime of the season for me is Himouto! Umaru-chan, a good comedy that I would recommend to anyone.
The worst anime of the season is probably Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan, but since I watched only the first episode it doesn’t count. So the worst I think is Jitsu wa Watashi wa.
I’m still a little bit mad about Kekkai Sensen but even if the last episode isn’t a masterpiece I can’t say that is terrible.